Often believers want to talk about miracles, signs, and wonders.
1. People ask how does it happen?
2. How did you know that person had "blank" condition (a word of knowledge)?
3. How do you have peace when "xyz" happened?
4. What happened when you or that person got healed?
So you may be thinking how do these things happen and how do I get them to happen in my life? The answer is to learn to hear Gods voice. Everything flows out of the relationship with Holy Spirit. Let's talk about the ways we hear from God and how we know it's from God.
1. The Bible - The best way to start to tune into his voice is to open your Bible and ask God where to turn. You can ask aloud or inside your self, He hears you. Immediately you may feel compelled to turn to a chapter and verse or you may see a chapter and verse in your mind. If you get a chapter or verse that is not in the Bible, don't be discouraged. Just try again until you get a chapter and verse that is in the Bible. You will refine your hearing with practice. Notice as you practice, this information isn't like a thought you just know where to go or you have a vision you see within your self. You communicate with God in this place deeper than your thoughts. You can hear God audibly but it's more common to hear God in this deeper place. It may result in you thinking something, but take a careful observation to where and how you hear this information. This is the beginning of your relationship with God. God speaks to our spirits, often not in audible words, but in thoughts and impressions. Then our spirits speak to us in words like,"I think the Lord wants me to tell you.....".
John 4:24 says,
“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
What John 4:24 is saying that communication with God is Spirit to spirit, not brain to the brain or to my to ear, the way we communicate in the physical realm. The Lord speaks to our spirits, not in words, but in a deeper place where we interpret what he is saying through thoughts and impressions. Then we use words like, “I think the Lord wants me to do this or that.” The Lord doesn’t typically say “You do this or that,” but He will impress your spirit to do something or say something. People often interpret this and say, “I think I should do . . .” Therefore, we often miss the leading of the Lord, thinking it’s our own thoughts.
1 Corinthians 6:17 says,
" But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."
In the verse above, the word for "joined" also translates to "follow". The lower case word for "spirit" actually translates to "soul". So as we follow the Lord we become one soul (mind, will, emotions) with him. Have you ever had one of those times when you have done something stupid and afterward said, “I knew that was the wrong thing to do.” We didn’t feel right about our decision at the time, but we followed logic or pressure only to find that our impression was actually the Lord speaking to us. Often His voice speaks to us in the first person because we are one soul with Him and He guides us as such. However, I don't want you to think everything that comes through your mind is God communicating with you. This is where discernment comes in. We as believers have to practice hearing His voice. However, the flesh or the old man will try to deceive you with the old desires, selfishness which can sound familiar but we have to be careful so that we do not confuse the voice of God with the voice of our own flesh.
2. Prayer - I have found praying in tongues to be one of the most important aspects of growing spiritually. Look at this article from the New York Times.
Look at this quote from the article below,
“The amazing thing was how the images supported people’s interpretation of what was happening,” said Dr. Andrew B. Newberg, leader of the study team, which included Donna Morgan, Nancy Wintering, and Mark Waldman. “The way they describe it, and what they believe, is that God is talking through them,” he said.
Also, God prophesied that this is the way He would speak to His people in Isaiah 28: 11-12.
Isaiah 28:11-12 (KJV)
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest, and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
We see that speaking in tongues is a supernatural event or provides an opportunity for a supernatural event. In that time it's important to meditate on scripture He has been showing you. Often in that spac,e he will show you the future, things about your self you didn't know, or things you need to repent/ change your mind about. Paul said that he prayed in tongues more than an entire church. My wife and I have certainly seen a lot of growth in our relationship with God by praying in tongues. Any time I needed a direct word from the Lord I would go on a prayer walk alone. Once you get the concerns of the world out of your mind, you can find a place (like dialing in a radio) where you have direct access to the father and everything you need can be found in that place. If you are in a difficult place and you need a specific word about direction, I highly encourage you to find a good amount of time to set aside and get alone with God. Once you push out the cares of the world, He will give you the guidance you are seeking.
1 Corinthians 14:4 says,
"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."
We can see in the above scripture that praying in tongues edifies you to your self. It builds you up, forces you to grow, and expands your understanding by getting it deep inside you.
3. Fasting and Praying - Fasting and praying together helps push everything that is not like God out. When you fast and pray it is all about intention. God knows your heart. A pure intention/ motive is a selfless intention. This is where you are seeking Him for selfless purposes you can see great gain and satisfaction in your spirit that you may have never known before. However, if you are seeking selfish purposes, seeking to test God, or if you really aren't seeking a relationship with Him, this may not prove as fruitful for you. We do not receive from God through works, which means you earn it; However, the kingdom does require effort, but you cannot think or get offended if you don't receive. If you do, that means your intention and motive are wrong. How we think and perceive is a big deal to God and that's why we renew our mind through the Word.
4. Dreams and visions - God still speaks to us through dreams and visions we will be providing more information regarding dreams and visions in the near future so stay tuned. Essentially if it's a negative dream or vision, speak life to counter the dream or vision. When you do it, stay in faith (confident in God that you have his favor and mercy). If its positive, speak it and prophecy it so that it becomes your reality. When you truly speak faith, it is not emotional or wavering.
5. Impressions - As you grow in God, you will hear Him inside leading you and you will know it is Him. This is how the manifestations of the Spirit, miracles, signs, and wonders happen. You will be in a situation where you just know something and you won't know how you know it. At this point, ask God inside "Is this for me to share, or just for me to be aware of?" He will let you know potentially by your impression. Acting on this Word will increase you in that area. If it is prophecy, start to speak the future (if it is negative don't prophecy it) or consult an elder before you do. Prophecy is meant to build up the church. If its a past event in someone's life reach out and see if it means something to them. Words of knowledge often lead to a prayer for healing because God is looking to restore the individual.
6. Audibly - You can hear God Audibly and some hear God this way more often than others.
7. Other people - God often speaks through His believers like the days of old through prophets. As always, make sure you are decerning the voice of the Lord through others. People have a lens, and the lenses can be scratched which can distort their perception. One example of this is the telephone game in which people line up and whisper a message to the next person over. When it gets to the last person in the line, the message is always completely different from the original message.
Now to wrap this up. The picture associated with this post is funny, but if God told Him to take the termites, it would all work out regardless of a pressured situation. In the end, trust God. He is leading you always. Just follow him. Press into hear His voice. Remember: faith comes by hearing and we all have to grow in what we are hearing.
If you have any further questions or would like to know more, reach out to us or comment below. We can write to you directly or we may write a future blog about it. Also if you are ever in the Tampa, FL area stop by our church.
Or if you would like specific information about healing, deliverance, prophecy or any other manifestation of the spirit check out our Senior Pastor's books. Dr. Kynan Bridges website is below.